A Conversation about ECCTYC

At the start of the 2005-2006 academic year, Modesto Junior College hired many new faculty members to join their already flourishing Literature and Language Arts Division. In addition to presenting at the conference, five new faculty hires, as well as one of the members of the hiring committee, ventured to the ECCTYC conference in Long Beach California. This blog is a creation of the conversations that ensued following the presentation and attendance of that conference.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Preparation and Travel

After a strenuous hiring process, Op and Adrienne approached Deb, Jason, and I about the possibility of presenting at the ECCTYC conference in October. Prior to starting the Fall semester, Patrick Bettencourt, a full time professor at MJC and board member of ECCTYC, inspired and launched an idea to present a workshop on "How to Get Hired for a Full-Time Gig," tentatively to be presented by new full time faculty hired at MJC in the fall. After agreeing to create and present a workshop on this topic, we focused on getting to know our own strengths/weaknesses, creating materials, and organizing our travel information.

8 Comments:

Blogger DebGilbert said...

I found out from the conference organizers that our panel is tentatively scheduled at 1:45, Friday and that works for me. I'll either take a flight late Thursday or early Friday and meet you guys there. I can meet on Friday at 10 but I think one of us is gone for the weekend, no?

10:00 AM  
Blogger Emalsam said...

After some initial brainstorming and collaborative discussion, Op presented us with the possibilities below:

10:01 AM  
Blogger DebGilbert said...

Next Friday after the dept meeting works for me.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Emalsam said...

I'm in.

6:47 AM  
Blogger DebGilbert said...

And here's mine:

Debbie Gilbert received her PhD from Stony Brook University in New York in 2005. She has taught composition, literature, and film at Laney College, San Jose State, San Francisco State, and Stone Child Tribal College. Her interests include building up the academic field of California Studies in the two-year colleges.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Emalsam said...

Emily Malsam earned both her B.A. in English Education and her M.A. in English, Rhetoric and Linguistics from North Dakota State University, preparing her to teach at North Dakota State University, Minnesota State University Moorhead, and Minnesota State Community and Technical College in Fergus Falls and Moorhead, MN.

6:56 AM  
Blogger DebGilbert said...

I'm wondering if you (Emily) have ordered a computer or anything for your presentation. If so I might also use it just to show what kinds of things I looked for on the college website and other pages when gathering info. If you haven't put in an order I might do so though it's late for it. Let me know if you'd be interested in using it.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Emalsam said...

Deb- I didn't request a media set-up because I wasn't really sure we'd have time to walk people through the sites, programs, etc. But, if you're considering it, I'd happily build it into my presentation.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home